Algona Community School
600 South Hale Street
Algona, IA 50511
How to Apply
To provide students and staff with a safe, clean, sanitary, comfortable, and efficient
environment where students can learn.
● High School Diploma
● Experience preferred
● Free from any mental or physical defects that would hinder completion of job
assignments. Good health and sufficient physical strength and agility to work
continuous hours while standing, walking up and down steps and to lift and carry
up to 50 pounds.
● Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with other
employees. Personal qualities of emotional stability, moral conduct and integrity.
● Demonstrate aptitude for successful completion of the tasks assigned.
● Physical Examination as required by the district
● Blood borne pathogens certificate on file
● Child abuse certificate on file
● Certification, experience, other qualifications as determined by the Director of
Buildings and Grounds
Reports to: Director of Buildings and Grounds
● Keeps buildings and premises, including sidewalks, driveways, parking lot and play areas neat and
clean at all times. To shovel snow from the walks, mow the lawn when necessary and tend
● Checks daily to ensure that all exit doors are open and all panic bolts are working properly.
● Raises the United States flag on each school day morning and lowers it at the close of each day.
● Sweeps, mops, wet-washes and vacuums floors in assigned areas daily.
● Cleans corridors as necessary.
● Scrubs and disinfects locker rooms daily and cleans all sanitary fixtures and water fountains daily.
● Keeps all floors in a clean and attractive condition and in a good state of preservation.
● Makes minor building repairs as he/she is capable.
● Reports any damage to the property and/or needed major repairs promptly to the Director of
Buildings and Grounds.
● Is responsible as assigned by the Director of Buildings and Grounds to open and close the building
each day and to see that all doors and windows are secured and that all lights are out prior to
leaving for the day.
● Conducts an ongoing program of general maintenance, upkeep and repair.
● Prepares the building as directed by the Director of Buildings and Grounds or principal for special
● Keeps wastebaskets empty and clean.
● Performs emergency repair or cleaning as necessary.
● Follows appropriate safety measures.
● Properly care for tools and equipment.
● Assists in other buildings as requested by the Director of Buildings and Grounds.
● All other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Wages and work year to be determined by the Superintendent and the Board of
EVALUATIONS: Performance of this position will be evaluated by the Director of Buildings and Grounds.